The annual National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals (NAPO) conference brings professional organizers and productivity consultants from around the world together. It is held every spring in a different city. If you plan on attending, register now as space is limited.
The National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals (NAPO) was founded in Los Angeles in 1985 by five professional organizers: Beverly Clower, Stephanie Culp, Ann Gambrell, Maxine Ordesky and Jeannie Shorr. The Los Angeles chapter, NAPO-LA, remains one of the largest chapters in the United States.
NAPO Conference Checklist
- Business casual outfits: You want to be comfortable while still looking your best.
- Comfortable shoes: You may be doing a lot of walking.
- Light sweater, jacket, or shawl/scarf: Dress in layers and prepare for some conference rooms to be cold.
- Umbrella: It’s best to be prepared.
- Cash: Keep small bills for tipping.
- Snacks: Stay healthy with fresh fruit and nuts.
- Reusable water bottle: Staying hydrated will keep you mentally alert.
- Earplugs and eye mask: Get your rest no matter how noisy or bright your room is.
- Venue map: Locate the restrooms and avoid getting lost.
- Hand lotion & lip balm: Most conference centers and hotels have very dry air.
Networking + Learning
- Business cards: You never know who you’re going to meet.
- Elevator pitch: A 20-second snapshot of you and your business.
- Flyers: Promote upcoming events and offers.
- Notebook: Jot notes at every session.
- Pens + pencils: Pack a few extra to share.
- Greeting cards: Send thank you notes before you get home.
- Branded stickers or luggage tags: attach them to your tote bag and belonings.
- Phone + charger
- E-reader + charger
- Tablet + charger
- Travel surge protector
- Extra phone/tablet battery pack
Helpful apps for the NAPO conference
- Waze or other Map App: Explore the area without getting lost or stuck in traffic.
- OpenTable: Easily make restaurant reservations.
- Sleep Cycle: The gentle, but effective, alarm clock.
- Dropbox + Evernote: Have access to all your important documents
- Social Media: Download the apps from for Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.
- Your Airline’s App: Get flight updates and use your phone as a boarding pass.
- Uber or Lyft: Get to and from the airport and hotel.
- NAPO: Have all of the conference resources available all the time. (Note: The NAPO app is only available in the U.S. app store.)
Before you leave for the NAPO conference
- Make travel reservations: Book your flight, hotel, and car rental or airport shuttle. Keep all booking confirmations in a folder or in your calendar. Remember to add the address of the hotel and hotel loyalty information.
- Set goals: What do you want to accomplish by attending the NAPO conference? Who do you want to meet?
- Check Twitter: Use the conference hashtag to find out who’s talking about it.
- Review conference materials: Attend sessions that will strengthen your business and close your knowledge gaps.
- Check LinkedIn: Find more information on speakers and other colleagues you’re interested in meeting.
- Arrive early or stay late: Consider staying an extra day for sight-seeing around the host city.
While you’re at the NAPO conference
- Meet new connections and build relationships: Choose quality over quantity. Don’t just collect business cards; get to know your colleagues.
- Take pictures: Photos are fun to share on social media and could help develop relationships as you follow up with new connections.
- Meet new people: Sit in different seats at every session and introduce yourself to those around you.
- Manage your time: Leave room in your schedule to eat, rest, call family, and check your email.
- Toss paper before you head home: There’s a ton of paper at conferences. Review what you want to keep before leaving the hotel and recycle what you don’t.
- Follow up immediately: Don’t let business cards languish on your desk for months. Follow up with your new connections as soon as you return home.
Click on the free printable packing list below.