You perfected the art of dressing yourself by the time you were in kindergarten. So why does wardrobe planning every day feel like such a chore?
Sometimes, a disorganized closet may be an obstacle. Excess clothing or accessories that poorly fit your body or personal style can obscure the view of your sartorial potential. However, even after you jettison everything that doesn’t serve your needs, you may still feel uninspired. That’s because organizing your wardrobe involves much more than organizing your closet. Other rooms in your home (kitchens, pantries, and garages) are organized mainly by function. However, developing and organizing a wardrobe needs to meet more than just functional principles. It presents unique challenges based on tastes as well as practicalities.
Achieve Flawless Style with Capsule Wardrobe Planning Tools
Your clothing comes in a wide variety of colors, weights, fabrics, patterns and styles. To further complicate matters, you need to account for many things (weather, formality and purpose of the event, and your mood) in assembling an outfit.
With so many complex options, it’s not surprising that people can use a little help deciding what goes with what. I’ve developed some strategies and tools to help you refine the elements of a more unified wardrobe – one that presents you to the world the way you wish to be seen.
- Start with a well-organized closet. Declutter everything that doesn’t fit or flatter.
- Next, select a special piece, like a favorite pair of pants or top or a special pair of shoes. Add other garments and accessories until you’ve created a complete outfit you’ll be thrilled to wear. If you’re eagerly anticipating wearing an outfit, you’ve got a winner!
- Use the Capsule Wardrobe Planning Worksheets – either the Male Wardrobe Wisdom Worksheet or Female Wardrobe Wisdom Worksheet that I’ve designed to capture and note each outfit’s relevant details.
As you use the Wardrobe Wisdom Worksheets, permit yourself to make interesting matches and pair together items you might not have previously considered.
Also, check out the following podcasts where the folks from Smead Organomics interview me about closets:
- Creating A Wardrobe Capsule Part 2 – Keeping You Organized (Video #145)
- Creating A Wardrobe Capsule Part 1 – Keeping You Organized (Video #144)
For more advanced tips, check out my Wardrobe Wisdom Workbook for Women. It tells you how to take your measurements correctly and how to dress for your specific body size and type. I also included information on identifying the best pieces for your capsule wardrobe and knowing when to splurge and when to save when you buy clothes.
Are you having difficulty creating flawless style on your own? Book a one-on-one Wardrobe and Closet Coaching Call with me. I can help you create and accessorize great outfits that are perfect for you. And it’s fun – just like shopping with a friend!
Planning a cohesive look with these essential wardrobe tools gives you ideal “go-to” outfits – streamlining preparations for business trips, vacations, and the changing of the seasons. (Check out my free checklist to pack for a holiday or business trip.) When you plan your wardrobe, you will have everything from special occasions to casual coffee dates with a friend. With my Capsule Wardrobe Planning Worksheets and Wardrobe Wisdom Workbook, you’ll feel confident and look fantastic!