It takes time to organize and declutter your home. But it is neither are difficult nor complicated. Usually, just getting started is the hard part.
As you unclutter, work through one room at a time. Set up a decluttering station using a few baskets, boxes or other containers. Label each container clearly with the final action you will take: Keep, Trash, Sell, or Donate. Keep is only for the items you love, use or need. Designate items as Trash if they are broken, worthless, or if you cannot recycle them. Sell is for consignment, garage sale, or online classified-worthy items. Use the Donate category for clean, working items of value that you can give to a local charity.
Print and drop into page protectors. Tape or clip to boxes when decluttering.
When decluttering, ask yourself a few questions:
- Do I/we:
- love this?
- use this?
- need to hang onto this? (for legal or financial reasons)
- If it’s not working, is it worth fixing?
- Is it worth staying in the space it occupies?
- Could I/we find it on the internet?
- Could I/we easily replace it or borrow it?
Here’s a list of what you’ll need
Signs for boxes, bags, baskets or containers
You may need three more signs:
- Return if you tend to borrow things or buy things and need to return them to the store
Notebook + Pen or Laptop to create an itemized list of things you’re donating for tax purposes.
Timer to help you stay on task + remain focused.