Below is a list of resources for those interested in learning more about coping with and managing hoarding tendencies, extreme clutter, and chronic disorganization. One of the best downloadable resources, the ICD Clutter-Hoarding Scale, can be found on the Institute for Challenging Disorganization website.
Hoarders TV Show
Visit the Independent Movie Database (IMDb) profile for Geralin Thomas if you’re interested in watching specific episodes of A&E TV’s Emmy-nominated show, Hoarders, featuring Geralin working collaboratively with a team of professional organizers, but note that a better option for viewing episodes can be found at A&E website. Please check the media page on the Metropolitan Organizing website to explore episode numbers, seasons, and names of featured clients.
- My Mother’s Garden is An award-winning film that documents a 61-year-old woman’s daily life as a hoarder, filmed by her daughter, director Cynthia Lester.
- Packrat by Kris Montag
- Possessed by Martin Hampton. Enters the complicated world of four people with hoarding disorder.
- Stuffed by Arwen Curry and Cerissa Tanner. This film dispels the stereotype that all “packrats” are isolated, elderly derelicts.
- The Story of Stuff An animated documentary about the life-cycle of material goods written and narrated by Annie Leonard. Note: critics consider the documentary to contain incorrect and misleading information and/or to be politically partisan.
- Wasteland in Brazil A story about the world’s largest trash city.
From Hoarding to Hope: Understanding People Who Hoard and How to Help Them
142 pages; English. ISBN: 1506148352
- From Hoarding to Hope: Understanding People Who Hoard and How To Help Them by Geralin Thomas. MetroZing Publishing, 2015.
- To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop by April Lane Benson. Trumpeter, 2008.
- Don’t Toss My Memories in the Trash by Vickie Dellaquila, Mountain Publishing, 2007.
- Shoptimism: Why the American Consumer Will Keep on Buying No Matter What by Lee Eisenberg. Free Press, 2009.
- Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things by Randy Frost and Gail Steketee. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2010.
- Overcoming Compulsive Hoarding: Why You Save and How You Can Stop by Fugen Neziroglu, Ph.D., Jerome Bubrick, Ph.D. and Jose Yaryura-Tobias, M.D. New Harbinger Publications, July 2004.
- Changing For Good by J. O. Prochaska, J. C. Norcross & C. C. DiClemente. HarperCollins, New York, NY, 1994, 2002.
- Compulsive Hoarding and Acquiring: Workbook and Compulsive Hoarding and Acquiring: Therapist Guide by Gail Steketee, Ph.D. and Randy Frost, Ph.D. Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Buried In Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving and Hoarding by David F. Tolin, Ph.D., Randy O. Frost, Ph.D. Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Digging Out: Helping Your Loved One Manage Clutter, Hoarding, and Compulsive Acquiring by Michael A., Ph.D. Tompkins and Tamara L. Hartl. New Harbinger Publications, 2009.
Online Support Group
- Children of Hoarders: A group for/to support those who grew up in a hoarding environment and/or currently have a relative with hoarding disorder. Many resources, online videos, shared stories, etc.
This article was published at an earlier date and has since been updated.