Over the years, I’ve received thousands of questions from new and aspiring organizers who’ve been inspired by home organizing magazines and television make-over shows. They wonder what the industry is really like and what it takes to become a professional organizer. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about becoming a professional organizer and my answers.
- “Is there a quiz to help me figure out if I have what it takes to become a PO?”
- Yes. Here is a free downloadable quiz.
- “Do you have a step-by-step business checklist for new professional organizers?”
- Yes, I do. Here are the first 6 steps for starting a professional organizing business.
- “How much does it cost to start an organizing business?”
- “Which questions should I be prepared to answer when prospects call?”
- See my free checklist on common questions clients ask when hiring a professional organizer.
- “Is there a process for onboarding new clients?”
- Yes! Here is a checklist with a step-by-step process to onboard new clients.
- “Do I need business insurance?”
- Yes, you do. Read how to get the best insurance coverage for your business and how to determine your insurance needs when hiring contractors.
Marketing + Branding
- “How’s my branding? Does my website/slide deck/logo look okay?”
- Here is a checklist for “Geralin’s Grand Brand Plan” for professional organizers.
- “How do I write mission and vision statements?”
- Start with this article on mission + vision statements.
- “Regarding my first website… what do I need to know?”
- Read this article on creating your first website.
- “Can I use a business name that’s already being used in another state?”
- Read this article on naming your business.
Rates + Fees
- “I’m new. How much should I charge?”
- Read this article on what organizers around the country charge for their services.
- “I want to sell organizing [related] products. What do I need to know?”
- Learn more in this article about affiliate programs.
- “I’m not good at bookkeeping; what’s your advice?”
- Read this article about hiring a bookkeeper.
- “I’m going to be speaking to a small group. What should I charge?”
- Here is how to determine a fee for public speaking.
Start Here. Start Now. Here’s How…
- Purchase the Terms of the Trade glossary because you need to build your organizing vocabulary and understand the most commonly used words in the industry as well as the abbreviations and acronyms.
- If you’re looking for a quick-start, purchase one Ask Me Anything Coaching Call and the New Organizers’ Essentials kit. The NOE kit is rich in detail and comprehensive in scope so that you’ll grow into it instead of outgrowing it. Read how the NOE kit and AMA Coaching Call combo have helped others.
- If you’re looking for an accountability partner, purchase four Ask Me Anything Coaching Calls and get a fifth call free. All five calls must be used within six months of purchase.
- If you’re still not sure how to proceed, let’s meet on Zoom and strategize. Schedule a free 15-minute no-obligation consultation.
Upbeat, Engaging, and Encouraging
It wasn’t until I was 61 years old that I decided to reinvent myself and become a professional organizer. A few months after I opened my organizing business, I set out to learn everything I could about the industry.
I took Geralin’s NAPO 104 class, Starting an Organizing Business. Geralin is upbeat, engaging and encouraging — even humorous. Early on, I struggled with confidence, especially about what to charge. Geralin has been my biggest cheerleader. She encouraged me to join my local NAPO chapter. Through my involvement, I’ve had opportunities to learn and grow that I never would have if I had stayed in my comfort zone.
Geralin is passionate about helping others develop their potential. She’s a joy to learn from and always makes you feel valued, capable, and cared about.
Save $25.00 when you bundle one Ask Me Anything Coaching Call and a New Organizers’ Essentials kit. Pay that savings forward to purchase the Terms of the Trade. This offer is available only to residents in the USA and Canada.
Terms of the Trade: The Essential Glossary for Organizing + Productivity Consultants
Over 280 terms, abbreviations, and acronyms used in the organizing industry.