Over the years, I’ve received thousands of questions from new and aspiring organizers who’ve been inspired by home organizing magazines and television make-over shows. They wonder what the industry is really like and what it takes to become a professional organizer. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about becoming a professional organizer and my answers.
- “Is there a quiz to help me figure out if I have what it takes to become a PO?”
- Yes. Here is a free downloadable quiz.
- “Do you have a step-by-step business checklist for new professional organizers?”
- Yes, I do. Here are the first 6 steps for starting a professional organizing business.
- “How much does it cost to start an organizing business?”
- “Which questions should I be prepared to answer when prospects call?”
- See my free checklist on common questions clients ask when hiring a professional organizer.
- “Is there a process for onboarding new clients?”
- Yes! Here is a checklist with a step-by-step process to onboard new clients.
- “Do I need business insurance?”
- Yes, you do. Read how to get the best insurance coverage for your business and how to determine your insurance needs when hiring contractors.
Marketing + Branding
- “How’s my branding? Does my website/slide deck/logo look okay?”
- Here is a checklist for “Geralin’s Grand Brand Plan” for professional organizers.
- “How do I write mission and vision statements?”
- Start with this article on mission + vision statements.
- “Regarding my first website… what do I need to know?”
- Read this article on creating your first website.
- “Can I use a business name that’s already being used in another state?”
- Read this article on naming your business.
Rates + Fees
- “I’m new. How much should I charge?”
- Read this article on what organizers around the country charge for their services.
- “I want to sell organizing [related] products. What do I need to know?”
- Learn more in this article about affiliate programs.
- “I’m not good at bookkeeping; what’s your advice?”
- Read this article about hiring a bookkeeper.
- “I’m going to be speaking to a small group. What should I charge?”
- Here is how to determine a fee for public speaking.
Start Here. Start Now. Here’s How…
- Begin by talking the talk. Purchase the glossary because knowing the Terms of the Trade will help you not only understand the most commonly used words in the organizing industry but, the abbreviations and acronyms too.
- Bundle + Save. Purchase one Ask Me Anything Coaching Call and the New Organizers’ Essentials kit (together!). The NOE kit is rich in detail and comprehensive in scope so that you’ll grow into it instead of outgrowing it. If purchased separately they would cost $255.00, but when you bundle, you’ll save $25.00! Read how the NOE kit and my 1+1 Coaching have helped others.
- Clarify your message so people engage. Geralin’s Grand Brand Plan for professional organizers is a free downloadable checklist.
- My YouTube channel is the place where I talk about branding, marketing, sales, advertising, and public relations. Check it out. It’s free.
She's Been a Lifesaver
Diving into the organizing profession without Geralin would be like jumping into a pool thinking you can out-swim a competitive swimmer! She’s been a lifesaver.
Terms of the Trade for Professional Organizers + Hoarding Consultants
Terms, abbreviations, and acronyms used in the organizing industry.