New professional organizers rarely know where to begin, what to purchase, or whom to trust. Many aren’t sure if they’re going to fail or sail. That’s why I created this page. I invite you to take your time. Look around. Read the frequently asked questions and answers. Then, take a deep breath.
I’ll begin by introducing you to my very best selling products: two glossaries–better known as the Terms of the Trade (TOT)–and the editable New Organizers’ Essentials (NOE) kit, which contains all the business forms, templates, checklists, and information required to launch and grow your business. The TOT and NOE are the perfect starting place for aspiring professional organizers like you. You’ll have everything you need to onboard clients and talk the talk with clients, colleagues, therapists, and other professionals.
Next, explore “Geralin’s Grand Brand Plan,” which is a free downloadable checklist that will help you strategically brand your business to attract and maintain loyal clients. I highly recommend you use this free checklist before contacting a web designer as it will help prepare you for the questions you’ll be answering. The organizer in you knows that being prepared saves time and money.
If you’re working on a shoestring budget, I’ve put together a “bundle and save” package which includes one 60-minute Ask Me Anything Coaching Call and the New Organizers’ Essentials kit. Purchase them together and save $25.00. During the AMA call, as the name implies, you really can ask me anything.
Finally, I recommend that you put your business processes and procedures in place. Make time to learn about theory, practical applications, and the nuts and bolts of owning and running a business before jumping into the deep end, doing hands-on client work. It’s tempting to fake it till you make it but I advise against it. Set yourself up for success. I’d love to help you!
Okay, let’s move onto some of the questions I’m asked most frequently.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers with Geralin Thomas
- “Is there a test or quiz to help me figure out if I have what it takes to become a PO?”
- Yes. Here is a free downloadable quiz.
- “Do you have a new business checklist for professional organizers?”
- Yes, I do. Here are the first 6 steps for starting a professional organizing business.
- “How much does it cost to start an organizing business?”
- “Which questions should I be prepared to answer when prospects call?”
- See my free checklist on common questions clients ask when hiring a professional organizer.
- “Is there a process for onboarding new clients?”
- Yes! Here is a checklist with a step-by-step process to onboard new clients.
- “Do I need business insurance?”
- Yes, you do. Read how to get the best insurance coverage for your business and how to determine your insurance needs when hiring contractors.
Branding + Marketing
- “How’s my branding? Does my website/slide deck/logo look okay?”
- Here is a checklist for “Geralin’s Grand Brand Plan” for professional organizers.
- “How do I write mission and vision statements?”
- Start with this article on mission + vision statements.
- “I’m about to create my first website; what do I need to know?”
- Read this article on creating your first website.
- “Can I use a business name that’s already used in another state?”
- Read this article on naming your business.
Rates + Fees
- “How much should I charge?”
- Read this article on what organizers around the country charge for their services.
- “I want to sell organizing products and earn extra income. What do I need to know?”
- Learn more in this article about affiliate programs.
- “I’m not great at bookkeeping; what’s your advice?”
- Read this article about hiring a bookkeeper
- “I’m going to be speaking to a group of businesspeople. How much should I charge?”
- Here is how to determine a fee for public speaking.
Entrepreneurship Essentials: Start here. Start now. And let it be easy.
My mission is to help you get from where you are now, to doing work that excites you and earns money. I’m known for being effective and efficient and helping organizers create better businesses. I am always respectful regarding what’s best for your bottom line, both short- and long-term.
Your 3-Step Plan for Building a Successful Business:
- Learn to communicate clearly. Purchase both glossaries made for organizers, designed by an organizer. The Terms of the Trade will be used as a resource for years to come.
- Create a grand brand plan before hiring a website designer.
- Jot down all your questions and let’s talk. Book a 60-minute private Ask Me Anything Career Coaching Call. I’ll help you “master faster” and then you can customize the New Organizers Essentials kit which includes all the business forms and checklists you’ll need to efficiently start your business.
NOE + Ask Me Anything: Business Forms and Coaching Call
Get the comprehensive collection of forms and checklists in New Organizers’ Essentials package and a 1-hour coaching call with Geralin to answer any specific questions you have about starting your organizing business.