Tip: Print and drop into page protectors. Tape or clip to boxes when decluttering. Organizing and decluttering your home take time but neither are difficult nor complicated. Usually, just getting started is the hard part. As you unclutter, work through one room at a time. Set up a decluttering station using a few baskets, boxes or other containers. Label each container clearly with the final action you will take. Keep, Trash, Sell or Donate. Keep is only for the items you love, use or need. Trash any broken or worthless items that cannot be recycled. Sell is for consignment, garage sale or craigslist worthy items. Donate is for clean, working items of value that can be given to a local charity. When uncluttering, ask yourself a few questions:
- Do I/we love this?
- Do I/we use this?
- Do I/we need to hang onto this? (for legal or financial reasons)
- If it’s not working, is it worth fixing?
- Is it worth the space it occupies?
- Could I/we find it on the internet?
- Could I/we easily replace it or borrow it?
Here’s a list of what you’ll need: Signs Signs for boxes, bags, baskets or containers
You may need three more signs,
- Return if you tend to borrow things or buy things and need to return them to the store
Notebook + Pen or Laptop Create an itemized list of things you’re donating for tax purposes Timer To help you stay on task + remain focused